The Government of Uganda through Uganda Coffee Development Authority (UCDA) is implementing the Coffee and Cocoa Development Project (CoCoDEV) under Inclusive Green Economy Uptake (GreenUp) Financing Agreement of the 11th European Development Fund (EDF).
UCDA will utilize part of the funds under CoCoDEV project to implement a matching grants scheme to support farmers to establish production units of coffee and cocoa.
The objective of the Matching Grant Scheme (MGS) is to stimulate and promote sustainable commercial- production and productivity in the coffee and cocoa value chain.
Deadline for submission of applications is 30th September 2023.
Eligibility criteria: To be considered for funding, the applicant must:
1. Be an individual commercial coffee/cocoa farmer, registered private entity, coffee/cocoa cooperative, coffee/cocoa association, coffee /cocoa Community Business Organization/communal group.
2. Be directly responsible for the preparation and management of the grant.
3. All applicants should be 18 years and above.
4. Must possess a land suitable for coffee/cocoa production of minimum 10 acres (4 hectares)
5. Legal land ownership/user rights. Land must be free from encumbrances and conflicts
6. Must possess land within the eligible districts
7. Must be willing to use own funds for initial investment in establishment of coffee/cocoa farms.
Eligible Activities: The funding will support the following production related activities include:
1. Procurement of planting materials (seeds, seedlings, clonal cuttings)
2. Carrying out good agricultural practices including climate change adaptation measures (shade trees seedlings and banana suckers)
3. Fertilizers (plant nutrition)
4. Pests, disease and weed management measures (pesticides, fungicides & herbicides)